I was scheduled to go in Monday June 13 at 11:30am to take my 125 mCi of Radioactive Iodine. I prepared everything the night before, spent the morning with my girls, and then cried when I dropped them off at daycare. I went to the hospital and was checked in and brought back to sign paperwork and take my pill. Except then she came out and said that someone didn't make the last phone call or who knows what but my dosage was never ordered. I was devastated. I know it was only a day but it was an extra day of no meds, crazy diet, and extreme exhaustion. I can say with certainty that preparing and dealing with the I-131 was much harder than surgery. I can physically handle anything but mentally handling everything that was on my plate felt impossible even for one more day. I went and picked my girls up and spent the day with them. It was a hard day even though I was with them. That night my mom had us over and fed us a great, hot, iodine-free meal.
The next morning, July 14, I was scheduled to go in at 8am. I got my kids ready, dropped them off at daycare, cried, and then went to the hospital. This time they had my pill. I had to take 2 RED pills, wait 30 minutes, walk right out the front doors of the hospital and drove myself home. I spent the day with achy joints, feeling swollen especially in my face, drinking as much fluids as I could, going to the bathroom as often as I could, and feeling overall off. The day was good in the fact that I couldn't hear my kids. When Curtis got home with the girls I had a harder time knowing I couldn't see them or help be a parent. He had it all under control. My friend Racheal made us dinner that night and so I felt good knowing my family was fed.
| I was surprised the room they gave me the pill in. I expected more precautions |
| I'm so swollen because of my extreme Hypothyroidism |
| "Mom, why are you in your room?" Uhhh, you figured that out quick Lily. Don't tell Paige. :) |
The next morning, Wednesday July 15, Elizabeth came and got my kids and took them to daycare. I started off feeling pretty sick. This stayed with me all day. I felt pretty sick all day but my joints weren't hurting as bad. My parotid glands were swollen and instead of getting dry mouth like they told me to expect I was getting a lot of saliva that tasted salty. I am sorry if that is too much information but this is public so if anyone is looking for a similar experience then they can find this. Anyway, I was especially hungry because I couldn't go into the kitchen so I could only eat what was in my room. I was tired of cereal, wilted salad, pb & honey, and raw almonds. I begged my sister to bring by food and she did. I was so thankful. I spent the day sleeping through the sickness and watching TV. I thought I'd read more or catch up on my kids' blog but seriously, I couldn't concentrate to save my life. Joan fed Curtis and the girls that night and brought in some extra food. That was so nice! That night I was able to talk to Lily. She came into my room after Paige was in bed, 6 ft away, and we talked about how the next morning was going to go. That night before Paige had gone to bed she came outside my door and said, "mama, mama" while pointing at my door. My poor baby.
| My book marker |
| Jenny brought me lunch from Gharbaldi's and they make it with no salt or butter just for me. |
| My Parotid glands! My face looks huge |
Thursday, July 16, was my 48 hour mark. The first thing I did was take my thyroid pill. I know it's going to take weeks for this to get back into my system and work the way it needs to but the quicker I could get it started the better! This was also the day I could start eating whatever I wanted. That morning I had Lily knock on my door when she woke up. I then text my sister Anne who came over for the day. It was actually fun to hear all the chaos in the house throughout the day and I just stayed put. I was feeling a lot better. I still felt nauseous but not as bad as the day before. Kira brought me Jimmy Johns for lunch and my visiting teacher from Church, Megan, brought me chocolate chip cookies. I spent the morning cleaning my bathroom top to bottom. Anne took Lily and her girls to the Minion movie and she put Paige down for a nap and she luckily slept until Curtis got home. When Curtis did get home I took his car and drove to my work and got a lead apron. I was suppose to stay 3 ft away from people and I did.
I went and got a drink from Starbucks and then went to my parents house for a change of scenery. I worked on a project there for a bit and then went and visited my grandparents. Then I finally went home and slept great since it was such a "busy" day!
| Framing these prints I got off of Etsy for Paige's room |
Friday, July 17, was 72 hours. Anne came and was at my house again. Lily went to her friend Tessa's house for the day. I stripped my bed and did 4 loads of laundry of all my clothes I'd worn, bedding, towels, etc. I then cleaned the bathroom again just to play it safe. I had one more day until I could see Paige. I was able to come out of my room when Paige was down for a nap. I stayed for the most part 3 ft away from everyone else. When Curtis got home that night we left Paige, who was napping, with Cole and since Lily was still at Tessa's, we went to Twin and walked around. I kept my distance from everyone. We had a burger at Culver's that made me feel a little sick. I've learned to limit myself cause "rich" foods are too much. We then picked Lily up and kept her on the opposite side of the car from me.
| FaceTime with Paige. I was missing her bad Friday! |
| Face painting at Michael's with her friend Tessa and Tessa's mom Danielle |
Saturday, July 18, was at my 4 day mark and I could see my baby. I woke up around 7:30am so excited! Then I had to wait because everyone slept in. When Paige finally did wake up she could have cared less about me. In fact, she wouldn't even make eye contact with me. After awhile she warmed back up to me. I still had to be pretty careful around her. I am still emitting radiation and the less I held her the better. We went to the Farmer's Market in Jerome and Twin, went to my friend Katie's yard sale, and walked the canyon. We tried to stick to outdoor activities so I was exposing less people. We came home and we all rested. That night we dropped Lily off at Grandma's and Curtis, Paige, and I went to Sushi. Again, we sat away from everyone and I didn't share drinks or food with Paige. We then had to go to grocery shopping at Walmart to get ready for our work week.
Enjoying a normal Saturday
| I'm still pretty swollen in my face and pretty much everywhere else |
| Sporting the lead apron while snuggling before bed |
Sunday, July 19, was day 5. I was still told to stay away from large groups of people so we decided not to go to church especially since we are in Primary with young kids. Lily went to church with Grandma Sandra.
I am going to work tomorrow, July 20, day 6. It says I can resume normal activity. Tomorrow I have a block of time set aside to go and get my scan done at 11:30am. I am anxious to do this but I won't get to know results for a week and a half after so it will be hard waiting. Although, I have waited this long so what's another week and a half.
Now that this week is over, I am moving on with my summer. Lily gets to start swim lessons, the fair is coming up, and every day I will get stronger, get a clearer head, and I know happier. No matter what the scan shows, things will only get better from here. I will become stronger, my body will heal, and then I will fight again if I have to.
If you're still out there reading this, following my cancer journey, then please pray that the scan goes well tomorrow. We are praying that it was only in my nodes. We are praying it didn't spread to my lungs, or bones, or anywhere else. Thanks for all the love and support.
No comments:
Post a Comment