I have been slacking on my posts so you get three all at once! I share these posts and stories with the hope that I can get everyone I know who still reads my blog to be an advocate for yourself. Not only am I encouraging your to CHECK YOUR NECK but I am also hoping you'll watch out for your kids and follow your instincts.
I have a story to share regarding that. The Saturday I got out of Radioactive Iodine we went to the Farmer's Market in Jerome. While there I had a woman stop me and ask me about my scar. I told her I had cancer and that I just finished what I hoped would be my last phase of treatment. She said she had a nodule on her thyroid but her MD told her it was too small to bother with. I asked what Dr. She said her family doctor. I encouraged her to go and see a specialist. Truthfully, I had the feeling that she thought it was nothing. I pulled my hair back and showed her just how long my scar was. I said, "This is what happens when you wait."
A couple of weeks ago Curtis came home with a story. He was careful on how he told it so he wouldn't violate HIPPA but I was able to hear the full story after talking with the woman again at the Farmer's Market last week. I still don't even know her name! But she sure is nice.
Curtis was doing an ultrasound and he asked the woman why she was in today. She said, "I saw a woman at the Jerome Farmer's Market with a scar from her ear to her neck who had Thyroid Cancer and it made me realize i needed to come and have this looked at." Curtis smiled and said, "that was actually my wife."
I don't know her diagnosis. I don't know if she has cancer or if she is ok. I am praying it was nothing and that she is just fine. But I was so happy to hear that she went and took care of herself!
Please, listen to your body and check your neck. Do not ignore any swollen lymph nodes whether in your neck or any other part of your body.

No comments:
Post a Comment