Monday, June 8, 2015

Just 3 Weeks Ago...

It's amazing how quick life can change. It was just 3 weeks ago today that I heard the dreaded "C" word. I thought about this a lot today and I am healing from my surgery. I decided I felt nothing but thankful that I was able to get in so quickly. In less than 3 weeks I was able to get the source of my cancer removed along with a lot of lymph nodes. I feel blessed. 

Headed to the Surgery Center

Lots of Waiting-Dr. Mayes surgery before went over
Before
After


I was discharged on Saturday. I  was feeling better than I thought I would. Dr. Mayes came in and I really did just ask him to give it to me straight. I asked him not to sugar coat it. The truth is, after opening me up, he realized it had spread a lot. That is why he is recommending a PET Scan before Radioactive Iodine. The PET scan uses a form of Nuclear Medicine that will show him where the cancer is. My bones, my lungs, possible even my cervix from what I have read. It could be everywhere. As he said before, my papillary carcinoma may be a more aggressive form. So I asked him to give it to me straight and he said my prognosis should still be good. He said I may just have to have more treatments of Radioactive Iodine in the upcoming years and he didn't say this but I assume more surgery if there are any masses.

It wasn't the greatest news but to be honest I knew it would be like that. The minute I heard cancer and started looking into my past labs (3 years ago) I knew that when he said it metastasized it was more than just in my neck. It has spread. Now we just wait to see how far. The PET scan should be soon. In fact he said he'd do that first thing today-getting the appt set up. I don't know when it's scheduled for yet. I am in denial a bit about this. I know it needs to be done but I also don't want to see it light up like I know it will. When I say that I mean it'll show exactly where the cancer is.  It's scary. The scariest thing I have ever gone through besides almost losing Lily at birth. Right now I am focusing on healing from surgery. I haven't prepared myself for the next step. 

 Today Curtis had to go back to work and my Mom came and took my kids to daycare. I felt very lonely. I couldn't have taken care of the kids and I am glad they get to stick with their routine but I felt very alone. I took a shower and my niece Elizabeth came and dried my hair for me. Then she straightened it. It felt good to be clean. I then attempted lunch at Gharabaldi's with my family. I am trying to build my strength for tomorrow. It is Lily's dance recital and I refuse to miss it. Less than an hour out I was ready to go home. I then took a 2 hour nap!

Thank you Katie Schwabedissen for dinner tonight and visiting. She even did my dishes too. She wanted to serve me so we finally gave in. She's such a sweetheart. To everyone who has come and served us, thank you. We can't do any of this without you.

On a final note, I found out today that my Aunt Kathy who runs the Jerome Farmer's Market is doing a fundraiser for my family this weekend. My beautiful niece Elizabeth is Ms. Southern Idaho and she will be there taking pictures with anyone who wants to meet her. They will also be selling baked goods on our behalf. I can't even begin to explain how much it means to us that they are doing this. 

We knew this was going to be a hard battle financially but our focus has always been on my health. I actually sold my Highlander on Saturday to a nice guy in Boise. I was sad to see it go since I only owned it for 7 months but it was one less expense we didn't need. Curtis and I decided we would do anything possible to keep our heads above water through my treatment. 

If you want to come out here is their website:
http://www.farmersmarketcr.org/
Thank you again for all the prayers and well wishes. It's been the longest 3 weeks of my life but we continue to fight...

Hanging with my girls-Lily is doing great with everything but Paige isn't quite sure what to do with me. I am not suppose to hold her and so she comes and sits on the couch with me for 20 minutes at a time. I love these girls and how great they're doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment